Sunday, February 7, 2010

A wander around Seoul


So, I went into Seoul yesterday for a work-related function. I wasn't thrilled about the work part, but we got treated to a great lunch afterwards. I ate soo much!  Then, I went out for a loooong walk around Seoul with two of my coworkers.  We bumped into this big parade thing happening right after we popped out of the subway station near City Hall.  Is there a temple through that gate?  Comment and let me know if you know the name of this place.

We saw this building. My coworkers swear this building was a different color the last time they saw it. Huh?



A weird thing! I dunno what this is.



Two random street views. Nothing special to see, just nice views.



A strange art display-- a Turtleship made out of old electronic appliances-- mostly TVs and stuff like that. I didn't know what a turtleship was, so I thought it had a pretty funny name.



What's this called?
This is a new statue that just got unveiled in October of 2009. I didn't get a chance to read the whole plaque, but I believe he was a guy who helped with the development of Hangul? (The korean writing system). I dunno, leave me comment if you know more about this guy.

Tapgol Park
I went to a rather severely-paved park in the middle of Seoul. It's called Tapgol park-- a park dedicated to an important movement for Korean Independence. This is the pavilion in the middle of the park.
Wongaksa Pagoda
The paved park also had this thing in it. It's a stone pagoda from the mid 1400s. It was originally part of a nice temple, but everything was destroyed except for this, and then it was moved here for display. Unfortunately it's housed in that very hideous glass/metal cage, so.. it's not really the kind of thing that you can gaze at in wonder. Anyway, this is designated as Korea's #2 National Treasure.


Heunginjimun, or Dongdaemun Gate
I'm a little confused by these gates that are all over the place, but I BELIEVE this is the Dongdaemun Gate.  It's the eastern gate that used to be a part of a wall around Seoul. The wall no longer exists, of course, but the gates do.

Basically, I don't really know what anything is, so, these posts are kinda ridiculous. But, I had a lot of fun walking around and seeing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment